Reloading and Ammunition *
Swift * Berger * Lapua * EABCO * VihtaVuori * Redding * Lee Dies
Forster Reloading Dies and Case TrimmersWhile they're most famous for their Original Forster Case Trimmers (invented in 1946), Forster brings an equal amount of expertise, innovation, and precision to their reloading dies.
Forster Full Length Bench Rest Reloading 2-Die Sets - These sets include the innovative Forster full length sizer and Bench Rest seater dies. The full length sizer has Forster's E-Z OUT expander ball system that allows positioning of the expander for the best mechanical advantage. This elevated position combines with a Co-Ax mounting washer that corrects any misalignment of the decapper/ expander assembly and prevents the case neck from pulling off center.
The Bench Rest Seater Die features an innovative, caliber-specific Die Chamber (Fig. 7). It holds the case, the bullet and the seating stem all in perfect alignment; supporting the entire outside diameter of the sized case rather than just the bullet and case neck. To further enhance alignment and accuracy potential, these dies do not crimp* (neck tension is achieved with the sizer die).
Please click the images above to enlarge and view detail. *30-30 die DOES have crimping.
Info/Order Forster Full Length Bench Rest 2-Die Set (list $99) Price $73
Forster's Original Case Trimmer System and Accessories - Invented in 1946, the Forster Case Trimmer continues to be the best system for trimming cartridge case mouths. From it's I-Beam alignment system to its modern use of power screw drivers and drills to make trimming even easier, Forster has continued to innovate and advance this tool. Its really a miniature lathe. Cartridge brass is held in place and aligned by collets and fitted pilots. A multi-blade cutter then trims and squares each case mouth to exactly the same length. Once you have the trimmer, you can add neck turning, neck reaming, hollow pointing, chamfering, and other attachments.
Forster Catalog PDF
22 BR Rem
222 Rem Mag
224 Wby Mag
240 Wby Mag
6 x47 Lapua
257 Wby Mag
6.5 BRM EAB
6.5 x 47 Lapua
270 Wby Mag
7mm BR Rem
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Wby Mag
300 Norma Mag
300 Win Mag
300 Wby Mag
30-378 Wby Mag
308 Nat Match
308 Small Base
338 Norma Mag
338 Win Mag
340 Wby Mag
338 Lapua Mag
There are 4 basic collets (#1, #2, #3, #4) for the Original Forster Case Trimmer and between them they fit just about every case rim in existence. Pilots are numbered like the calibers they represent: #22 is 223 caliber. #24 is 243 caliber (6mm). #26 is 264 caliber (6.5mm)... And so on. We've linked the Collet and Pilot Selection Chart (above) to show you which ones you need by cartridge name. We also have them listed Dimensionally by Collet # and Dimensionally by Pilot #. Questions? Call 800-950-9088.
If you're just getting started and haven't bought your case trimmer yet, we recommend the "Kit" above as it includes 3 collets and 6 pilots and costs less than ordering them individually. To order collets and pilots individually, just click the "Info/Order" links below and select your collet(s) and pilot(s) from the menus.
|Too Much headspace. Insert the No-Go gauge in the chamber and close the bolt. If the bolt closes easily, your barrel isn't screwed in tight enough. You have too much headspace. If the bolt closes fine, but with some resistance, your headspace is just barely acceptable*.
- Ideal Headspace is when the bolt will close on the GO gauge but will not close on the NO-GO gauge. You might as well get it perfect if you're installing the barrel yourself. (for a broader understanding read "Special Circumstances" below).
Info/Order 304-HSG Forster GO and NO-GO Headspace Gauges $22 ea.
- Special Circumstance #1 - When headspace gauges are not available, full length sized, not yet loaded cartridge brass is sometimes used to custom fit the headspace by trial and error. Re-barrels done this way may fit your handloads fine but may not fit factory loaded ammo.
- Special Circumstance #2 - A rifle with *barely acceptable headspace may be perfectly manageable by reloading ammunition with brass that is custom fit by partial full length resizing or neck sizing. For example, if you're using headspace gauges to check a factory barreled rifle, and the bolt closes with slight resistance on the No-Go gauge, it is not necessarily excessive headspace... Just more headspace than would be considered ideal. (There's actually a third "Field" headspace gauge that's the definitive No-Go headspace indicator. We don't sell the Field gauge).
- Special Circumstance #3 - TC Encore and Contender barrels can give a false reading with Go and No-Go gauges if you don't understand the locking mechanism that draws the barrel down into full battery. The spring loaded locking bolt engages the frame and can latch the action closed well before it extends completely... Giving the impression it closed on a headspace gauge when in fact it didn't.
Multiple Chamber Compatibility...
- 223 Remington gauges work on .223 Rem and 6x45.
- 243 - 308 Family gauges work on .243 Win, 260 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 308 Win, and 358 Win.
- 6.5x55 Swede gauges work on the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser.
- 280 Remington gauges work on the 280 Remington.
- 284 Family gauges work on 284 Winchester, 22-284, 6-284, 25-284, 6.5-284 Norma, 270-284, 30-284, and 35-284.
- 30-06 Family gauges work on 25-06, 6.5-06, 270 Win, 30-06, 8-06, 338-06, and 35 Whelen.